Green Bean Casserole usually makes an appearance at all the big family dinners like on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. I’m always cooking up a storm for these feasts and constantly looking for shortcuts to help me get everything on the table (and counters and sideboard and card table and everything else we cover with the 40’leven side dishes that get prepared!)
Because I have so much going on in my kitchen on holidays I always go for the quick and easy recipes that still pop with that wow-factor. Like this Supreme Green Bean Casserole!
It literally takes minutes to prepare but it looks and tastes like something you spent hours on. The secret is to use canned green beans then dress them up with buttery sautéed mushrooms! Yes, canned green beans!
And speaking of canned green beans, I’m just tickled to be a part of an awesome giveaway Del Monte has for you! Enter to win a Del Monte gift basket including (one each):
- $200 American Express gift card
- Casserole Dish
- Serving Spoon
- Del Monte Recipe Book
- Del Monte Product
- Select one recipe from Del Monte’s #10MINUTEWOW Easter Pinterest board and pin to your own personal Pinterest Easter Board using hashtags #10MINUTEWOW #DELMONTECONTEST
- Send a link to your Easter board to firstname.lastname@example.org during official Sweepstakes hours (March 2, 2016 at 3pm PT – March 16, 2016 at 3:00pm PT).
- Note: if you can't copy/paste from here, scroll down to the comments section and copy the hashtags from there.
4 14.5-oz. cans Del Monte Cut Green Beans, drained well
1 16-oz. carton fresh baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 10.5-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 6-oz. container crispy fried onions (such as French’s), divided
Sauté mushrooms in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season with pepper then cook until mushrooms are golden brown.
Meanwhile, combine mushroom soup, milk, garlic, salt and onion powder in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
Add drained green beans, mushrooms (with butter) and 3/4 cup of fried onions to soup mixture then gently stir until combined. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish then bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove dish from oven then top with remaining fried onions. Continue baking for 10 minutes then serve.
- If you use unsalted beans or butter or low-sodium soup, increase salt to taste when combining ingredients.
- You can omit mushrooms if preferred. Replace mushrooms and butter with one additional can of cream of mushroom soup plus 1/4 cup milk.
- For a more "from scratch" flavor, cook the beans for 20 minutes before draining well.
- Do not prepare soup before adding to recipe.