Wait, I have to tell you a funny story real quick about cake mixes. Well, it’s more mean than funny but I have to laugh at the wicked comments I get on my recipes or I’d go nutters and have to move into my parent’s garage. I just recently got this on one of my shortcut cake recipes, “I cant believe yall from the south and you use box cake mix… some southern bells yall are. No southern home kitchen should ever allow boxed cake in it!”
OK, lady. What you gonna do? Take away my card?
Anyway! Back to the million reasons I love this cake! Like I said, it’s super easy and...
- It totally looks like something from a fancy-pants bakery.
- It has just the right amount of fresh, crisp, lemon zing.
- It’s AH MAZE ING with a hot cup of coffee or tea so if you’re having company, this would be a perfect after-dinner dessert.
- If you want to WIN the potluck or just outdo your sister-in-law, this is your recipe.
- It’s got this coffee cake thing going on with the crumb topping so that’s just awesome.
- The lemon cream filling is so absolutely perfect you could just go sit on the couch and eat the whole batch with a rubber spatula.
- The contrasts of the firm crumb topping, tender cake and creamy filling is like a party in your mouth.